Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pure Joy

This morning was rough, Brooklyn wasn't listening to me and was throwing fits.
I put her in her crib so I could go have a minute to myself, hoping it would calm both of us down.

I cried.
I cried more and said "I can't do this. I can't parent"
I prayed to have patience, to be loving, to be the kind of mom I wanted to be.

I asked Clark to handle her from there because I couldn't do it. He reassured me that it wasn't all me, "She is a 2 year old after all".

Clark so lovingly got her out and had her come give me a hug and a kiss and say sorry. I guess after that moment I knew the day would be a roller coaster one. Full of both ups and downs.

First down: fits and not listening
First up: given a hug by my daughter and a heartfelt sorry

The day continued with this ride we were on.

downs:
Aubrey was fussy and I couldn't get much done.
Clark got home late from the office which in turn made Brookie stay up late because I couldn't put her to bed due to holding and caring for Aubrey.
The house kept getting dirtier and dirtier.

ups:
Brooklyn being such a big girl and not having an accident since the morning. Yayy!!
Watching Brookie play with Aubrey and give her kisses.
Catching up on conference, thank you DVR.
Getting Chic Fil A for dinner, yummm.

Once we had finished our dinner Clark then took Brookie out for a run in the storm.
He returned shortly and then I took my turn running with her.
She loved the "boom boom" in the sky and her eyes lit up with amazement.
We turned off the lights and opened the blinds.
Just sat and watched.
I couldn't help but think of my childhood memories of running in the rain and playing in the gutters. I was happy to start making those sweet memories for Brooklyn.

After all the excitement I took Brookie to blow dry her hair so she wouldn't get sick and to warm her up.
As I was blowing her long hair she decided to make silly faces in the mirror. She started to crack herself up and it took me a while to realize she was laughing and enjoying herself.
I too joined in in the faces and laughing.
Clark then came back to see what was going on.
Just like I couldn't resist joining in either could Clark.

At that moment I felt pure joy.

I know this day was filled with up and downs but when the ride came to a stop I couldn't stop smiling and I loved every minute of it.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings...

3 comments:

Parker Family said...

So true always ups and downs. At least you realize the ups because I usually concentrate on the downs and think I am a bad mom. Keep going along I bet you are amazing.

Trent & Lindz said...

As frustrating as those downs are as a mom you need them to appreciate the ups! They become special. Sounds like a crazy fun day :)

amber {and co.} said...

It's those tender moments that give you the strength to handle the tough ones- glad you ended the day on a high, sounds like it was lots of fun! Ü