Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Preschool field trip for a 1 year old?!

Thursday morning I got a call from my RS President, and to be completely honest I was hesitant to answer {Well this is my journal after all isn't it?! I can be honest}, but I did. She called to tell me that her 4 year old daughter was sick and her Preschool had a field trip to a farm, she was so sweet and wanted to see if Brooklyn and I would take their spot. She wanted someone to get use out of it. It was so thoughtful of her and of course after our day at the zoo I knew Brooklyn would really enjoy it. She gave me all the info and a half hour later Brooklyn and I were on our way to the Superstition Farm.



I wasn't sure really what to expect, I mean I know my maiden name is Farmer but that does NOT mean I know about what happens on a farm. {I know what you were thinking...} There was many preschoolers there and their parents, luckily I was able to find some families from my ward so it made the field trip even better.

The first thing we did was a hay ride around the farm. Brooklyn loved it and was pointing at all the cows and just having a great time. We were informed all about how things run at the farm and how they separate the cows.
Brooklyn was just gabbing away and pointing at all the cows...




Us two on the hay ride....
We stopped in front of the group of cows that were REALLY pregnant and right there in front of us was a cow giving birth, she was at the beginning of the process because you could only see the calf's feet. Part of me wanted to cheer her on, give her support and the other part of me wanted to yell at the farmer's "Where is her drugs?!?" And then we saw another mother cow eating her placenta, I almost threw up..{Sorry if you are too from reading this}
Sure enough as we were going back we saw another cow in labor...Did you know they give birth to 100 lbs calfs?! I thought 8 lbs was bad...

Next we got to feed 3 goats, a donkey and a sheep. Brooklyn is so brave I put some in her hand and she fed them just fine. She wanted me to give her more to feed them. Then we fed a horse some carrots and she even did that too!





Her petting the horse after feeding him...



This girl loves her animals and I am thrilled...She even held a chicken by herself!! {Tell me that's not impressive!}



We ended the field trip early because she was tired and hungry, we were already there an hour and a half.

Thank you Kim for being so thoughtful and for letting us fill your spot!! Brooklyn loved it and so did I!!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so excited to hear that you had a good time there! I scheduled a field trip there for my preschool but I've never been. We are going in a couple months. You can come with us if you want!!

Mori Muir said...

Kelsey......you need to take Brookie to Lehi Days now and let her chase after the chickies!!!

amber {and co.} said...

This looks like so much fun! I once saw a cow giving birth and thought it was so cool, I'm glad I missed seeing the eating of the placenta though Ü What a neat experience for both you and Brookie!

Jen Johnson said...

That Kim is soooo nice, isn't she! Hee... Hee..:)! Tyler has always loved animals even at Brooklyn's age! Animals are still his favorite things to play with as toys! What an experience!
J

Garrett and Melissa Farmer said...

That looks like so much fun! I am glad that she likes all the animals! How cute!